A hygge life
You may or may not have heard of hygge before - a Danish phenomena (not the best word but it's not just a word, it's a feeling, a way of doing things) that embodies warm, cozy, homey, nostalgic comfort.
So this week Bec and Tara discuss hygge - what it means, why you might like it and how you might inject some of it into your own life.
Books referred to:
- THE LITTLE BOOK OF HYGGE - The Danish way to Live Well - 2016 by Meik Wiking (see link below)
- THE BOOK OF HYGGE: The Danish Art of Living Well - 2016 by Louisa Thomsen Brits (see link below)
Hygge may be described as:
- The art of creating intimacy
- Cosiness of the soul
- Absence of annoyance
- A comfort zone that includes people
- Taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things
- Cosy togetherness
- Simple pleasure
- Feeling loved, warm and safe
- Cocoa by candlelight
It is about an atmosphere and experience rather than material things. It combines a feeling of togetherness with loved ones, safety, comfort and cosiness.
"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." Soren Kierkegaard