23 Jun 2021
Okay, hands up who has some obscure kitchen appliances that you use once every two years? Or three versions of the same appliance? Yeah, don't worry - you're not alone!
This week Bec & Tara chat about appliances; why we collect them and how to maybe gain some extra space by editing them a bit.
Why do we own so many?
- We believe they’re essential or advertisers tell us we NEED them
- The kitchen cabinets/spaces are designed for them so we don't question it
- Follow the trends
- Gifted to us
- Can be cheap
- We get spoiled by the convenience and it becomes “normal”
Why do we find it hard to let them go?
- Lots of charities wont accept them
- Some of them can be expensive
- Have to revert to other ways of doing things
- Sometimes we keep duplicates because one is better at one thing, and another is better at a second thing, even though they are the same
How can we reduce the number we own?
- Try to own multi- use items rather than single purpose
- Consider the way you live/ your family composition/ tastes and preferences of family - do you still need it?
- Let go of your expectations of perfection
- Embrace the simplicity and slowness of it
- Let go of anything broken/ damaged or in need of a repair
- Let go of the extensions or add-ons that we don’t use
- Choose smaller options where possible
- If you haven't used it for a whole year- can you let it go? Some items are seasonal but if you’ve lived through that season and still not used it- that might be sign!
Link below for article on: KITCHEN APPLIANCES YOU'VE BEEN BRAINWASHED INTO THINKING YOU NEED!