Using an accountability partner
4 May 2022
This week we are talking about using accountability partners - what they are, how they might help you achieve your goals, and the best way to select one.
A study (see link below) in the USA was undertaken and found out that the probability of completing a goal is:
10% – If you have an actual idea or goal.
25% – If you consciously decide you will do it.
40% – If you decide when you will do it.
50% – If you plan how you will do it.
65% – If you commit to someone you will do it.
95% – If you have a specific accountability appointment with a person you’ve committed to.
What does an accountability partner do?
- Help you stay on track
- Help keep you motivated
- Boost your willpower and re-energize you
- Listen to your concerns
- Challenges your thoughts which are holding you back or keeping you stuck
- Identifies your strengths and weaknesses - call you out on your rubbish
- Celebrates with you when you succeed!
What should you look for in a person when finding one?
There is no right or wrong here, just a few key attributes that the person you choose needs to have to make them a successful ally and ideal accountability partner:
- Someone that understands your journey
- Someone that genuinely wants you to achieve
- A good listener
- Someone you trust
- Someone who is honest and who you can cope with hearing honest truths from
- Someone you can celebrate with